Quantcast

Wednesday, February 1, 2017

#IWSG: Writers as Readers

The Insecure Writer's Support Group is a once-monthly blog hop aimed at sharing our doubts and concerns, while encouraging one another with assistance and guidance. As the lighthouse image suggests, it’s a beacon in the dark and a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!

This month's IWSG Question: How has being a writer changed your experience as a reader?

That's a hard question to answer, as I've always considered myself equal parts writer and reader, and I think you need to be both to be successful. After all, good stories don't happen in a vacuum, and good writing doesn't just magically happen without some form of context. I wish I could say that being a writer has made me more forgiving/tolerant of what I read, but sympathizing with an author's labors doesn't change my enjoyment of the story.

After a rough couple of months (I loathe everything about winter, and found this past December/January to be my darkest, harshest, most depressing period in years), I feel like I may be getting back on track. After probably way too much overthinking, I just republished my trilogy of fear-themed short stories with newer, snappier titles that will hopefully be easier for potential readers to remember, and which will be a lot more discoverable in searches.

Even more importantly, I wrote the opening paragraph of a new story last night. I know, a paragraph doesn't seem like much, but compared to the paralyzing dread of a blank page and the stubborn reluctance of a procrastinating pen . . . it speaks volumes.

3 comments:

  1. Hope the new titles make a big difference in sales.
    Glad you are through the dark times now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, a new writing project. I love it when those snippets come along.

    Love the new merchandizing, especially the pens. Good luck with the re-releases.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the re title's and getting back out there. Happy you are getting back to your writing self too. Best of luck with the new releases.
    Juneta @ Writer's Gambit

    ReplyDelete